Crate training is important for your dog training, Manchester. A crate is supposed to act as a den. Even though dogs are not denning animals, pregnant dogs do search for dens when delivering and nurturing puppies. So, if done right, the crate can give your dog a safe space. Many dog owners have problems choosing a suitable crate for their dog. Ask a good dog trainer Manchester for suggestions.
Why Crate Train Your Dog?
Here are the reasons why you should crate train your dog:
- Keeps your stuff safe: Crate training your dog will ensure that it keeps away from your furniture when you are out.
- Makes house training easy: One of the best tools needed to train a dog in its crate.
- Makes visits to boarding kennels and vets easy: When you have properly crate trained your dog, the crate can act as a home away from home. This is especially when leaving your dog in a boarding kennel or taking it to the vet.
- Enables transportation: You can easily transport your dog in your car if you have a crate trained your dog.
- Acts a refuge from noise: Dogs need a place to relax when anxiety-inducing activities might be happening. These include thunderstorms, loud parties, and holidays.
- Prevent your dog from getting injured or poisoned: Keeping your dog in the crate will allow you to go to work or even run errands. The crate will keep your dog calm and prevent it from getting injured or poisoning itself.
- Convalescence after surgery: Certain surgeries require that you put restrictions on exercises. A dog which happy and safe has a better chance of recovering from such surgeries.
Choosing A Crate And The Location For It
Certain factors should be taken into consideration when choosing a crate. First, you must consider your dog’s size. The crate should be large enough for it to stand and sleep with its legs stretched out. However, you should not make it too big that your dog feels it can poop or pee in it.
Puppies outgrow their crates, and that means you would have to buy a bigger crate. But not to worry, some crates allow you to expand them. These crates will save you a lot of money.
Choosing the material of the crate is very important. If you are crate training your dog, then you should go for metal wire or plastic crates. These are easy to clean and are quite sturdy. However, if your dog is crate trained, then you can get a cloth crate.
The placement of the crate is very important. You should place the crate in a place that away from the noise, sunlight, possible dangers (poisonous plants, electric equipment, and temperature regulating devices (vents (heating and cooling) and radiators). You can place in the crate in your bedroom, but you must consider all the other possible options before opting for it. Ask a local dog trainer Manchester for help in choosing a crate and placing it.
Crate Training Your Dog
Since crate training plays an important part in your dog training, Manchester, you must follow certain steps.
First, you make sure your dog has finished its potty session and has finished its playtime. After that, you must train your dog to develop a positive association with the crate. Once you have your puppy into the crate, you should first work on the duration. Remain with the puppy for that duration. Then you should repeat the step but increase the distance between you and the crate.
Once you have made your puppy feel secure, you should combine duration and distance. Keeping increasing the time your puppy is in the crate and your distance from it. Remember, there is an upper limit for each age, and you should not cross it.
Once you have crate trained your puppy, you can start training for real-life activities like you going to work.
Things Not To Do
You must understand that the crate is not meant to be a dog sitter, and you should not leave your dog in the crate for long periods of the day. Second, the crate is meant to be a safe space and not a form of punishment.
For more information about crate training your dog, you should consult a dog trainer Manchester. This part is very important. That means you have to generous with treat and praise. Also, you need to have a lot of patience.